This iconic stretch of coastal paradise in South Africa is a must-visit destination for nature lovers, adventure seekers, and wanderers of all kinds. Get ready to embark on a journey through breathtaking landscapes, charming towns, and a world of outdoor adventures.
1. Contrary to its name, the Garden Route is not a manicured garden but rather a stretch of stunning natural landscapes along the coast of South Africa.
2. The region gets its name from the diverse and lush vegetation that lines the route, including ancient forests, fynbos, and coastal dunes.
3. The Garden Route is home to the Knysna Seahorse, a rare and endangered species found only in the Knysna Estuary. It is one of the few places in the world where you can spot these unique creatures.
4. Bloukrans Bridge, located along the Garden Route, is the world’s highest commercial bungee jump bridge. Daredevils can take a leap of faith from a dizzying height of 216 meters (709 feet).
5. The town of Oudtshoorn, along the Garden Route, is known as the “Ostrich Capital of the World.” It is home to numerous ostrich farms where you can learn about these fascinating birds and even ride one if you’re feeling adventurous.
6. The Garden Route is a paradise for bird lovers, with over 300 bird species inhabiting the area. Keep an eye out for the colorful Knysna Turaco and the African Fish Eagle, among others.
7. The Tsitsikamma National Park, located on the Garden Route, is home to the Otter Trail, one of South Africa’s most famous hiking trails. It stretches over 42 kilometers (26 miles) and takes you through pristine forests, rugged cliffs, and stunning coastal scenery.
8. The Outeniqua Choo Tjoe, a historic steam train, used to run along the Garden Route, offering passengers a scenic journey through breathtaking landscapes. Although the train service is no longer operational, you can still admire the vintage locomotives on display at the Outeniqua Transport Museum in George.
9. The Garden Route is a year-round destination, thanks to its mild climate. Summers are warm and sunny, perfect for beach visits, while winters are mild with occasional rainfall, creating lush green landscapes.
10. The Garden Route is not just about natural beauty; it also hosts various festivals and events throughout the year. From the Knysna Oyster Festival to the George Cheese Festival, there’s always something exciting happening in the region.
With its enchanting landscapes, diverse wildlife, and thrilling activities, the Garden Route is a treasure trove of fun and adventure. Explore this magnificent stretch of South Africa and uncover the countless wonders that await you.